There are several memes out that generally state, “If you don’t think photos are important, wait until they are all you have left.” Most of us in the “photo biz” so totally get it, and we take our pictures and we save them on the phone, in our Forever accounts, and in our printed photo books. We make books for our parents, grandparents, children, and even paid clients. What we need to remember is to make them for ourselves, also. Let me explain my own personal incident that brought this to my attention like a foul ball to the head!

First, understand that my OG (Old Guy, he loved that I called him that), Dave, was sick for many years. He had all sorts of problems and he wasn’t too careful about the rules he needed to follow to stay well. He had been losing strength and had been cooped up in the house for a while and one day he said he wanted OUT! He wanted to get out of the house and go for a drive. This was on a Sunday. I didn’t go that day because traffic on the roads is abysmal and I was not going to deal with that. We went for our drive on Monday. We live in California, about a half hour from the Pacific Ocean, so I drove us down to the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and headed south. We drove along the shoreline and in Newport Beach, we stopped for an early lunch at Joe’s Crab Shack. Neither of us had ever been there, and we were the first ones there after it opened. We got a wonderful seat in front of the window and ordered lunch. Dave ordered a big lunch of crab legs, and I must say that I scolded him a bit because it was very expensive. He didn’t pay attention. (I think he’s very typical of many husbands, especially those who have been with the same woman for 52 years.) I had a sandwich.

After lunch, we continued down Pacific Coast Highway and when we hit Dana Point, I said I was tired and wanted to go home. This was about 4:30 in the afternoon, and we zoomed home on the freeway. After we came home, I loaded my photos to the computer, did a digital page, saved it to my computer and to Forever.

What I didn’t know was that this would be his last outing and in one month he would receive another diagnosis: lung cancer. We would find out that because of his other health problems that there was no treatment, and that in two months after that diagnosis, he would be gone.

The point to this story is: Take your everyday photos. Make pages. Put them in books or as page prints (which is what I do), keep the memories. We never know when it may be our last one.

Page by Lynn Tondro Bisset
#p2PCascadingPhotoFramesBI92
#p2PVTWordOverlapPart 1Text Only
At The Shore Scrap Kit by Designs by Laura Burger
Fonts: Lost In Wild; AdineKimberg, Angelina

12 Responses to Blog: An Afternoon Outing with Dave

1. Terry Vachowski says:

Thank you for the reminder, Lynn, and for sharing your story. I know these pages bring you comfort.

2. Janice Phillips says:

What a wonderful reminder, thanks so much for sharing, Lynn. So sorry for the loss of your OG.

3. Sandy Norman says:

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story with us. As I read through it your words struck a cord. Sometimes there are no photos but tell the story anyway. I hope your book brings you comfort and loving memories.

4. Sandy Norman says:

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story with us. As I read through it your words struck a cord. Sometimes there are not photos but tell the story anyway. I hope your book brings you comfort and loving memories.

5. You are so right, Lynn! It is so easy to forget to make pages for ourselves. I am so guilty of this myself. I love hearing stories about your OG when we are crops together. Thanks for the reminder to remember to capture our everyday lives and preserve those memories for ourselves.

6. stonebarb@hotmail.com says:

This article really hit home for me. Almost the same thing happened to my husband and me. I was usually so busy with work that we rarely took the time to visit one of my husband’s favorite places in Holland , Michigan to sit and watch the sailboats coming in and out of the harbor on Lake Michigan. He loved sailing and boating anywhere on Lake Michigan.
    On a last minute whim, we went to the Beach and Lighthouse area to enjoy the views. He was acting very tired but was so happy . As I walked around taking pictures, a voice told me to take a picture especially of him and that would be his last picture. Of course , that felt a bit creepy not knowing how true this would be. That evening he got very ill and was taken to the hospital the next day. He never was able to leave the hospital as his health plummeted– He died two months later.
    During what turned out to be his last month, again a voice told me to make a book of our life and memories together (41 years). I would sit at his bedside with my computer using my Artisan program working on the book which I found to be very comforting and we shared memories together. On the day I finished the last page with a picture of him walking the shoreline at his other most favorite place in Mackinaw City with an attached poem given to me a few moments before by a Social Worker that was so appropriate, he passed away 2 hours later. At his funeral, the pages of the book were displayed as a slide show.
    As I look back, I think the Good Lord used this opportunity to help me deal with facing his future loss, and I was able prepare the pages of this book to express my feelings and our life before his actual death.
    It really goes to show, yes take pictures, enjoy life as it happens and record the events in your pages for wonderful memories.

7. embmoore@yahoo.com says:

Thank you for sharing.

8. Avril Lawson says:

A beautiful story and so true. Love & hugs to you Lynn xx

9. Viv Mauriri says:

I am so sorry for your loss, but really pleased you took him on that last outing and he ate that expensive meal!! What precious memories of that day 🙂

10. Kathleen Eichler says:

Lynn, my heart is bursting right now with pride in knowing you. Your transparency in sharing this part of your love story is so very special. THANK YOU. *U* Kathleen

11. Susan Hill says:

Lynn,
    Thank you for sharing and to remind us once again what is important.
    ❤️

12. Taylor Teresa says:

I am so sorry you lost your husband. You are so right about taking pictures and preserving our memories.